Monday, April 22, 2013

Do Unto Others...

Sorry for this religious-y post!

A few weeks ago I got unfriended by someone on Facebook because I made the statement that if you don't know me, then please do not put me in religious/political groups or invite me to events that I might not be interested in, because you don't know me, you don't know if it would offend me... The reason for the post was that I was put into a religious group that was anti-gay marriage, anti-Obama, anti-abortion, anti-alcohol,very Pro-Baptist. As we have already established, I am very much pro-gay, pro-life, pro-alcohol and don't care if you're Baptist, I'm not, so don't try to save me... And don't even get me started on my political beliefs because I don't have enough time in the day.

In a previous post I mentioned, I refer to myself as an Episcopagen, I'm more Wicca/Druid than Episcopalian (which is what I grew up as), throw in some Buddhism and some Gandhi and you're on the right track. I believe in Nature, and I am now trying to follow that path more steadily.

The reason for today's post is that it has happened again. Not the unfriended thing, but the being invited to an event meant to "save" me. I declined the event, and have posted/liked every non-Christian post that has gone through my news-feed. And So far I have bit my tongue about being added to those kind of pages again. I do try to respect others views on religion and politics. I am accepting of a great many thing. But when it comes to those who disrespect my views is when I get mouthy. I know it shouldn't bother me as much as it does, especially when I try to "practice what I preach" with the tolerance thing, but for some reason, the fact that this continues to happen, irks me.

I think my new philosophy is going to be that if it's done to me, I'm going to do it to them. I wonder how many of the people on my friends list would enjoy being added to some Pagen/Wiccian event?

That's all for now. I'm sure there will be more to come on this topic later. :)

No comments: