Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sinking feeling that the Sink might sink me today

Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” this is my mantra today.

Okay, maybe planning had nothing to do with it, but yelling at me, and making tisk-tisk threats, on a crappy cellphone connection, because you are busy when we are available, and we are unavailable when you want us to be there, won't change the fact that it's not happening today, lady!

Clarification: Woman that we did a job for a few months ago called after hours last night (I leave at 430, am supposed to leave at 4 if I don't take a lunch, but I am always here til 430 for the OT; the call came at almost 6pm), I returned the call first thing this morning (before 8 am when I'm supposed to be here btw!) The sink that we had installed with the counter-tops had fallen. Sounds bad, I know, but it happens. The epoxy sometimes is bad (last year we had an entire batch of silicone that was faulty), sometimes the plumber plumbs the water in to soon, sometimes the customer puts dishes and things in it before it is set, so it weakens it, it happens. Usually the guys go back in, reset the sink and go on about their merry ways.

Thing is, we are a company of 7 people: 2 owners, 2 fabricators, 2 installers and me. Of those 7 people, only 3 know how to do the sinks, the 2 installers and the one owner. Today the installers actually have a job, in Albany, and it's decent sized, so they won't be finished until late. The owner refuses to send them from Albany to London (extra 3+ hours), after hours, because that's just the way he rolls, and he couldn't do it himself, because he has his daughter tonight, and cannot leave her alone (she's 4). His solution is that since the guys are going to London in the morning for a job, he would send them to her first. It would be fixed before 10 in the morning. She called me back saying that it was "unacceptable" because she needed it done tonight. That her husband would go ahead and do it himself, but the word of mouth would be how shoddy our work was. The owner's reaction was that if she was available at this moment he would go, but since it HAD to be after hours, that it was 1 night to go without the sink (technically 2 but that's beside the point) surely she could wait that long.

I'm sure that after she has talked to her husband tonight, after her dental surgery, I'll either get another call from her stating that they need to come in the morning, but she's still unhappy, or the husband will call and bitch because the wife is nagging. Either way, it's NOT getting done tonight, and I'm not happy with being in the middle!

Now that I've vented, off to read and catch up on some other things. Fingers crossed that today isn't all going to be like this!

No comments: