Aired: October 29, 1993.
The episode starts off with 2 men (One corporate looking the other a bit "scruffier") arguing about computer stuff, and the one storms out visibly upset. The corporate man is about to leave for the evening when he discovers that the sink is overflowing in his bathroom (Two things that I questioned, 1st WHO has a phone right beside their sink? and 2nd WHO has the need for a swipe card to get out of their bathroom??) as he is trying to unclog the sink, the phone rings, next he tries to leave but the swipe card won't grant him access. He is then electrocuted, being blown back into the mirror. (When we get to the crime scene, scene, there's one of those comical tape outlines that you ONLY see on screen.)
We then get to meet Mulder's old partner (pre-X-files), Agent Jerry Lamana, who asks for Mulder's assistance on the case. After checking on things at the Eurisko company, Mulder suspects Brad Wilczek (the scruffy hacker guy). Lamana steals Mulder's profile, claiming he needs a win. (He screwed up in the past and was punished so he thinks that solving this case will help him out.) Mulder enlists the help of Deep Throat (welcome back Jerry Hardin), and Jerry goes to the Eurisko company to search for more clues, and to follow Wilczek, The very Hal/2001: Space Odyssey sounding Central Operating System murders him in front of Brad. (I'm having a bad Terminator, Rise of the Machines, kinda vibe coming from this episode. Smart Houses might be my new phobia, in all the shows I've ever seen them mentioned (Eureka's Sarah, and even some of the technology in Doctor Who) something bad happens. ALMOST makes me wanna go anti-technology, ALMOST) Mulder learns that Wilczek created the thinking computer and the Defense Department wants his technology.
Now convinced that Wilczek is innocent and the Adaptive Network (COS) has gone murderous, Mulder talks Wilczek into creating a virus to destroy the system. He then attempts to sneak into Eurisko on his own, meanwhile however, Scully's computer/internet starts on it's own and she traces a call to the company. So she meets Mulder, where they break in to upload a virus. Taking precautions to not end up like the first dead guy and Jerry, Mulder and Scully climb 29 flights of stairs, fry the door sensor and cover the surveillance camera. But apparently the door is still locked, so Mulder helps Scully into the duct work to crawl over and be able to unlock the door from the other side. While she is in the duct work, the Security guy opens the door to let Mulder into the lab. Then pulls a gun on Mulder, revealing that he's actually part of the Defense Department. It bothers me that Mulder didn't check on Scully, who was probably wishing she was Tooms crammed into the airway, and let her know he had gotten the door open. (Guess we needed the scene of Scully being blown backwards towards the fan that would kill her had she not fired her gun, for the first time ever, at it. At some point, she is able to somehow free herself and ambush the Security/Defense guy. I suppose had he called to her then Bad Guy wouldn't have been so easy to get the drop on.) Mulder uploads the virus and that's the end of the COS...or is it?
Seriously that's how it ended: the Defense guy is looking at the camera, telling his team they only have 6 hours until they have to scrap the computer and then the red light ("of death", sorry family thing...) comes on and the screen goes to ending credits.
My little project is now over a week old and I'm starting to realize that a daily blog probably was CRAZY, but I'm enjoying the X-Files revisit, so until tomorrow. xoxo
2 comments:
This episode reminded me of the Disney Channel Original Movie "Smart House" that I loved as a kid. Did you ever see it?!
Not crazy at all! I'm loving this you're doing great (as predicted) :)
I don't know if I saw it or not, I've seen so many movies/tv shows that have had that theme, they all blend together.
Post a Comment