Let it be said that I am a HUGE fan of musicals and am thrilled that there are more being translated to film. (Rock of Ages, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Hairspray, Sweeney Todd, RENT, Moulin Rouge, just to name the few recent ones.) Where is this going you're asking yourself...
I am re-watching Les Miserables. AMAZING film, breath-takingly beautiful!!! (My only dislike is Russell Crow, should have been Gerard Butler, and SPOILER ALERT, What was up with his death scene? The noise when he hits the wall, Eww. WHY?!) And when I am finished I will most likely move on to my favorite, Moulin Rouge. Why haven't we done more with Ewan McGregor's voice??
What does this have to do with elephants?? Getting on to the point, or question I suppose... Is it me, or has anyone else noticed that the French like pachyderms? Seems that both of my current favorite musicals are set in France, and both have a "functional" elephant statue. I do realize historically there was an elephant statue, commissioned by Napoleon, at Bastille, that Hugo mentions (evidently unfavorably, I haven't read it, but sites I've looked at, mentions it was with disdain...) in his book Les Miserable. I'm also aware that there was an elephant at the Moulin Rouge. It was an attraction at the 1889 Montmartre Exhibition.
And after doing some digging online, I've noticed that there have been several others as well. (Like the photo below) Is there some historical symbolism that I've missed? I know the Feng Shui statues with the trunk up equal protection/good luck, while Hindus associate elephants with Ganesha, and that Buddhists see them as a symbol for wisdom and knowledge, but in the 1800's what was the obsession? Don't get me wrong I think elephants are majestic, and have a small resin one on my dresser (a friend gave it to me) but why, WHY are there so many statues in France?
"Gravity for the Elephant, Paris, France"
[THIS IS NOT MY IMAGE IT WAS FOUND ONLINE, THANK YOU TO THE PHOTOGRAPHER!]
That's my randomness for the day. Seriously if you have an answer or idea as to why, all comments are welcome!
No comments:
Post a Comment